Saturday, December 22, 2012

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies


Okay, here it is, the recipe for my absolute hands-down favorite cookie of all time: Oatmeal Butterscotch.  Between my dad and me, I think we can polish off an entire batch of these in just a few days.  Heck, I could probably do it myself!  Since they have oatmeal, that makes them semi-healthy, right?  Let me just pretend for a little while...

The original recipe is from Quaker's recipe found on the top of their oatmeal canister for Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin cookies.  My variations on the recipe are included below.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla (try making your own)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups Quicker Quaker Oats or 3 cups Old-Fashioned Quaker oats, uncooked
1/2 or 1 full 12-oz bag Butterscotch Morsels (depending on your taste – I always make a double batch and use one whole bag, which is essentially 1/2 bag for a single batch)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F.
Beat together butter and sugars until creamy.
Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
Stir in oats and butterscotch morsels; mix well.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the bottom is barely golden brown. (do not overcook)
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.

These cookies taste best if they’re just a hair under cooked so they’re super soft; be careful to not overcook them or they get really crunchy and a little dry. 

I have only tried this recipe in the freezer once and they didn't turn out as well as freshly made dough since they didn't spread as well and the bottom cooked a little too fast compared to the rest of the cookie.  I’m doing another trial run of freezing this cookie dough (see my tutorial on freezing cookie dough) but when I bake them, I will let them thaw out a few minutes before cooking to see if that helps.  I think it must be the oatmeal in the dough that makes it different from other dough I have put in the freezer.  

UPDATE: I let the dough thaw about 3-5 minutes prior to baking and squished it down a little and they baked up perfectly, see below photo.


Let me know if you try this recipe and if you love these cookies as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment